Happy almost 4th of July Readers! Since this holiday is almost upon us, I thought I would make my family a special treat(with all the gluten included tee-hee). Although these mini pies have loads of sugar, wheat, and everything unhealthy in them, I think it’s important to treat yourself once in a while. With that being said, here’s the perfect recipe to celebrate Independence Day. Baked individual cherry pies with homemade laced piecrust and some vanilla bean ice-cream on the side is the way to go for family events. I can’t even tell you how much of a hit they were among my loved ones! Hope you all have an amazing time spent with those closest to you!
Ingredients (makes 6 mini pie crusts):
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 large can of cherry pie filling (from any grocery store)
- vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 and combine salt and flour. Cut in vegetable shortening with pastry blender or dough hook until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water and blend until mixture holds together.
2. Shape dough into small balls and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough and cut 4 inch circles, making the base of the mini pies.
3. Grease muffin tins and lay the foundation of each mini pie in muffin tins. Form crust with leftover dough around the edges.
4. Fill muffin tins with the cherry pie filling and create your own laced topping with the leftover dough. You can be creative if you have cookie cutters!;)
5. Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy this festive treat with vanilla bean ice cream!