AHHH! I’m so excited you guys finally know. Something I always found annoying throughout my years of watching other Youtubers was when they alluded to the fact that something exciting was happening (ie: a new book launch, product line, etc.), but told their audience to wait. I hate that I’m that person!!! lol I swear it wasn’t intentional. I wasn’t going to mention anything of the sort, but I felt like I needed to tell you all something since I was barely posting for two months lol. I didn’t want you to think I had forgotten about you since I used to post 4-6 times a week, but also didn’t want to talk about moving until it was 100% settled. Creating content for you guys will always be my #1 priority when it comes to my job online. I hated that I had to put that on hold while we started our brand and packed our bags to move.
So…why Charleston? I touched on it in this video, but wanted to elaborate more in a blog post. First off, let me start by saying when we had visited Charleston in June and came back saying the “bugs were too much”, that wasn’t entirely true. The reason we didn’t move there right away was because at the time my parents couldn’t move and I can’t leave them! lol We just blamed it on the bugs because I didn’t want to go too into personal details. Now that my parents are able to move in the near future, it felt like the right time.
You guys, Charleston, SC is truly amazing. For so many different reasons. Anyone that’s been there will probably say the same thing, unless they are more into big cities. We LOVED Charleston because…
- Slower pace of life, but we’re not living in the sticks: Okay, so when I say ‘slower pace’ a lot of you might think that means living in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. It’s totally the opposite! Charleston has a small town feel with tons of activities, it’s on the coast, and has amazing food!
- THE FOOD. I die. Did you know Charleston is the #3 place for foodies in America? And not just BBQ! (which you know I love me some BBQ sauce;)
- Cost of living: Now I’d be lying if I didn’t say this wasn’t a factor for us. We researched places all over the country to live. Hawaii, San Diego, Orange County and Charleston were our biggest contenders for different reasons. We landed on Charleston because it wasn’t going to break the bank like the others were. Now with that being said, where we are going to be living isn’t necessarily ‘cheap’, but it’s wayyyy cheaper than the South Bay of LA. (Example: Average cost of a 2 bedroom condo in the South Bay: $3-4k, Average cost of a 3-4 bedroom house in Mount Pleasant/Charleston: #2500-3k)
- The weather: I know I LOVEEE to complain about the bugs and humidity;) Sorry, I come from a family of dramatic whiners;), but honestly, the weather really drew us to this place. For years I was obsessed with places that had lush greenery and rainy skies (as in the PNW), then I had a baby and realized I need sunshine to not only feel normal, but also so I can play with my baby outside! Charleston has the perfect amount of sunshine and rainy days. YES, there are floods and the occasional hurricane (which I might just FREAK out over if that actually occurs because yes, I’m a spoiled Californian:D). Lets just say Doug already bought survival gear LOL
- The people: Charleston has been named countless times the “friendliest city” in America or even the world. The people there are seriously soooo nice! I also LOVE that I won’t be the youngest Mom around;)
- It truly is beautiful. I love everything about the ‘Southern culture’ from the food, cobblestone streets, the series of beaches, Spanish moss lined roads, and rich history.
Now that you know a bit about why we chose Charleston, I wanted to update you on our moving situation. As I mentioned in my last video, we will be living with my parents for a few weeks before we actually fly to Charleston to move in as we had to ship our stuff. We ended up using UHaul Boxes because we found it was the most affordable option for us, although it takes a bit longer. We packed up everything we could into suitcases and shipped everything else! I can’t wait to get there and unpack! Packing wasn’t too terrible as we only have a two bedroom apartment, although packing all those awkward baby gadgets like swings and chairs was a bit annoying lol. We ended up shipping two out of the three of our cars and will be getting a family car this next year. Whoopee!
That’s all the update I have for you now! I’m going to be filming a few videos at my parents house, which should be interesting, but I’ll update you guys along the way! Thank you so so much for your support through everything! xx