Hi friends! I’m always getting asked what are some of our favorite Japanese recipes and although we aren’t chefs by any means, we loveeee gyudon! I first had it in Japan, but Doug used to eat it weekly growing up and since trying it, we crave it all the time! It’s basically a rice bowl topped with sweet thinly sliced steak and onions, although we add veggies too!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb Beef
- 2 Onions, medium
- 1 Scallion
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Dashi stock (or beef stock if you have no Dashi)
- 2.5 tbsp Mirin (Found in the International section of our grocery store – looks like soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 cups Grain white rice, cooked short-grain or medium
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Your choice of veggies (we add broccoli and asparagus)
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet and cook thinly sliced onions until see through.
- Start cooking veggies of your choice
- Add beef and sugar. Cook until golden brown.
- Add stock, soy sauce, and mirin.
- Simmer for 12 minutes.
- Poach eggs individually in a pot of boiling water.
- First add rice mixture, then top with egg, veggies, scallions, and toasted sesame seeds. The prettiest vase! ^^ That foot!! She LOVES it!
+ view comments . . .